Thursday, March 6, 2014

Creating Storage Boxes From An Old Box And Shelf Liner



This is so simple to do and costs around $2.50 to make.  You can use any old box that you have laying around.  Diaper boxes would be perfect for this.  I used an old chip box I had on hand after I went grocery shopping.

Things You'll Need:

  1. A box
  2. Shelf liner ( I purchased mine at the Dollar General for $2.50 )
  3. Scissors or a box cutter

I started by cutting the flaps off the top of the box.  You can use a box cutter for more even cutting but I just used a plain old scissor.  Either one does the trick.

I unrolled a large piece of the shelf liner and placed the box in the middle, bringing up all sides to make sure it would cover all of the box and fold over the sides.  I didn't cover the inside because I knew I would be storing it high enough and have enough items in the box that no one would even be able to see the inside.  Why do more work when you don't have to, right?

I then cut from the sides diagonally until I reached all four corners.  This will make it easier to fold over the sides of the box without looking all bunchy and wrinkly.  


I unpeeled the backing off, one side at a time.  I folded over the longer sides first. 


Then bring up the smaller ends next, folding over the open sides of the box.  If you find that you don't have enough shelf liner and that your box is too big for the piece you cut, you can always cut extra pieces and stick them on where you need them, just trying to match the pattern.  


And you're done.  A simple way to create some cute storage.  

I added a label to the front and used them on the top shelf in my closet.  Any size boxes would work and they have so many patterns of liner to choose from.  Having all these possibilities for some cheap storage ideas makes me a little giddy. Kind of makes me want to go grocery shopping to get some more boxes.  Well, maybe not…



No comments:

Post a Comment