Thursday, October 23, 2014

Creamy Chocolate Avocado Shake

Waking up in the morning, getting my house in order, getting my kids ready and off to school, and getting my husband out the door for work leaves little to no time to eat breakfast sometimes.  Depending on the day, sometimes I don't get to eat breakfast until around 9:30-10:00.  Which seems like a pretty normal time, but I'm up at 7:00 am so that, to me, is a long time to go without getting something into my body to start the day.  Don't get me wrong, there are days where everything runs smoothly, everyone is where they need to be, and I'm sitting down at the table at 8:45 scarfing down some eggs and toast.  But lets be honest, being a mom is unpredictable.  Today can be very different than yesterday.  Sometimes I have the time and sometimes I don't.  But on the days where I'm the most busy, I always make sure to eat something.  I NEVER SKIP BREAKFAST.  <--- that is in caps and bold because I was yelling it.  I never skip a meal in general, but especially breakfast.

Okay, so what do you do when you don't have time to scramble some eggs and fry up some turkey bacon?  Or when you just don't feel like eating anymore oatmeal?  Drink your breakfast.  Protein shakes, smoothies, juices,...they're all delicious.  And they're all FAST.  But this particular shake is by far the most filling drink I have ever had in.my.life.  I literally have to force myself to eat lunch on the days that I drink this because I'm full for quite a while.  It's not an exaggeration folks.  This is real information.  AND it's so creamy and delicious, kind of tastes like dessert for breakfast.  How can that be wrong?  That is so right on so many levels.

I use this shake sometimes as a meal replacement as well.  I have times where my kids have a baseball game until 7:45 at night and I'm too busy before the game to remotely make anything somewhat edible and healthy for myself because I have to feed my husband and kids before we leave at 5:00.  So this shake is perfect for a replacement meal because it has enough protein, healthy fats, and calories to be considered a meal.


Ingredients:

  • 8 ounces unsweetened almond or coconut milk
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 cup ice
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter or almond butter ( can also use 2 tbsp. PB2)
  • 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder ( can substitute 2 tablespoons cocoa powder )
  • 1 teaspoon honey

Directions:

Blend all ingredients until smooth.
Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment